Why floating cranberries are so healthy?
Berries! Yummy right? Not all berries are healthy and tasty. But there are few which are more than just berries. Cranberries are sour but a tasty and healthy one. The enormous nutrients filled in it makes it a healthy superfood. You might have heard of cranberries or the interesting ghostly cranberries. I mean, people speak of cranberries a couple of times and later they forget about it, so I call it ghostly. But people let me tell you these cranberries are more than awesome and filled with lots of nutrients.
It can be an interesting gift as thanksgiving celebration. Cranberries are small acidic berries and are also known as ‘karonda ‘which grow on evergreen shrubs that are native to North America . It belongs to the family of Ericaceae with the scientific name: Vaccinium macrocarpon. Cranberries are found to be healthy and nutritious. After ripening when they are ready to pick, they float in the water. This may increase their nutritional value because of its exposure to sunlight being on the surface of the water. It is one of the top antioxidant-rich foods. It is packed with more antioxidants than other "superfoods" like blueberries, spinach etc.
To know more about this so-called ghostly cranberry …read further……
Its nutritional value makes it a superfood. It is just as potent as blueberries, raspberries etc. It contains phytonutrients which are essential for the body .
Value per 100 grams.
How positive is it, for the body?
As mentioned earlier, cranberries are filled with nutrients. They are very healthy for the body too. Some of the health benefits include:
- Power packed with antioxidants: Antioxidants are the reasons for the improvement in many diseases. So, anti-oxidants are necessary for the body. It might be already known to you that anti-oxidants are those substances that inhibit oxidation and does not allow the formation of free radicals. Many antioxidant compounds like oligomeric proanthocyanidins, anthocyanidin flavonoids, peonidin, quercetin and cyanidin in cranberries may offer protection against many diseases. The anti-oxidants have innumerable health benefits.
- Might prevent Urinary tract Infection: UTI refers to the presence of micro-organism in the urine beyond certain limits. Cranberry is best known for preventing UTIs. The high concentration of proanthocyanidins in cranberries helps to alleviate the adhesion of certain bacteria to the urinary tract walls. This prevents the bacteria from multiplying further and flush them out through urine. Cranberry juice makes the urine more acidic thus making the environment inhabitable for the infection-causing bacteria .
- Cardiovascular health: Cranberries supports cardiovascular health. It might be due to factors like anti-oxidant effect, anti-inflammatory properties. The phytonutrients in cranberries show anti-inflammatory properties. This helps in the improvement of HDL and LDL levels. The polyphenols in cranberries might help to prevent the build-up for the plaque. It even prevents the condition of atherosclerosis .
- Supports and enhances digestive health: The components of cranberries prevent the bacteria like Helicobacter pylori from attaching to the lining of the stomach. Excessive growth of H.pyroli might lead to ulcers. Thus, cranberries support digestive system too .
- Maintains dental health: The proanthocyanidins present in cranberries may benefit oral health. It helps in inhibiting the growth of plaque and combats tooth decay. The anti-inflammatory property can alleviate inflammation in and around the gums. A healthy dose of cranberry juice helps to maintain oral health .
- Can be an immunity booster: As cranberries are rich in anti-oxidants and phytochemicals they promote immune system. It even alleviates age-related problems .
- Supports skin health: Cranberries are rich in vitamins; herbal antioxidants so drinking cranberries juice can improve skin health . It even prevents the formation of wrinkles, pigmentation which is caused due to free radicals. People with oily skin can be benefited from the acidic nature of cranberries. It even contains Vitamin C which is very essential for the skin as it helps in the production of hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine. These are amino acids which are required to produce collagen in the body.
- Anti-cancer properties: Free radicals might contribute to the aging process and may be a risk factor for developing diseases like heart diseases or cancer etc. Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Daily intake of cranberry juice in the diet can prevent the growth of certain cancers . The anti-carcinogenic compounds found in this juice retard the growth of cancer cells, especially those of prostate and colon cancer. It hampers the growth of micro-tumors in the blood cells.
- Cranberries are very good for the diet but it’s not a substitute for treating a medical condition. .
- Cranberries contain oxalic acid which may crystallize into oxalate stones in the urinary tract in some individuals. So, people with a known history of oxalate urinary tract stones should not eat much of these berries and especially vegetables belonging to Brassica family.
- People using the blood-thinning drug, Coumadin or warfarin, should not suddenly increase their intake of cranberries.
- Cranberry/Cranberry juice in a limited amount is safe and healthy, but overdose could cause side effects like diarrhoea, upset stomach or spikes in blood sugar.
In 2015, Global cranberry production amounted to 658 thousand tonnes standing approx. The global cranberry pursued a pronounced growth from 2007 to 2015. The global cranberry production attained its maximum volume of 658 thousand tonnes in 2012 under a certain review period. The total cranberry output growth failed to regain its strength during 2013-2015.
According to Index Box estimates, the organic cranberry market recorded steady growth from 2011-2014 but by 2015 year-end total consumption had contracted by 33%. It then grew again to 1.3K tonnes in 2016. It’s still 27% less than the highest level of market recorded in 2014. In value terms, the market for an organic cranberry amounted to $3.9M which is 3% more than the year before.
Cranberries are healthy for the body. It is filled with nutrients and other potent components. It is not less than any other berry. So, before consumption please consider the precautions. Be healthy with safety!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
click here to log in