Top 10 highly rated benefits of Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi)
The blessing of Ayurveda – Bacopa monneiri. It is a medicinal herb used for enhancing memory, used in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, allergic conditions, fights stress and Alzheimer's disease. It is a non-aromatic herb and is very popular by the name of “Brahmi”. Brahmi is a Sanskrit word and it means creative potential that comes from pure awareness. Bacopa monnieri is referred as Brahmi in southern India while in northern India it is centella asiatica. It is due to geographical difference and binomial names.
What makes it so efficient?
It is the chemical constituents in bacopa monnieri which makes it so efficient.
- Saponins -Bacoside A1, A2, A3.
- Bacopasaponins A-G, Bacopaside I-VIII
- Aglycone units
- Bacopasidase I-XII,
- Alkaloids -brahmine, nicotine , herpestine
- Other chemical constituents like monnierasidase I-III, cucurbitacin and plantainoside B. luteolin-7-glucoside, D-mannitol, apigenin, glucuronyl-7-apigenin, hersaponin, and glucuronyl-7-luteolin, luteolin-7-O-β-glucopyranoside, a triterpene bacosine (lup-20(29)-ene-3α-ol-27-oic acid) and several common phytosterols .
The growing population is directly proportional to the rate of diseases in the world. But, did you know, all alone in United States 5 million people over the age of 65 are living with Alzheimer’s disease,25 million are suffering from hypertension,  Annually people suffering from IBS are around 15% or 2.4 to 3.5 million in the USA, 1-10% in Asian countries  and stress is very common disease nowadays. These types of diseases can be treated by Brahmi.
Let me explain 10 benefits of bacopa monnieri which will blow your mind.
- The brain tonic: Brain is a vital organ of the body. If the brain doesn’t function properly that means your body is not functioning properly. So, it becomes necessary for everyone to take proper care of it. Brahmi contains some potential chemical constituents which rejuvenate the mind, enhance memory, improve concentration, and directly influence the quality of consciousness . In a certain study, brahmi showed a significant effect on the retention of new information and alleviated the rate of forgetting newly acquired information in humans . It acts as a brain food. So, it nourishes and protects the brain, promoting intelligence. Bacopa oil is used for the treatment of a habitual headache in humans.
- Powerful Anti-oxidants: Antioxidants are good for the body. If you are looking forward to antioxidants for your body, then Brahmi is the best dietary supplement for you. It contains strong antioxidants which alleviate the oxidative stress . Bacopa showed a significant protective effect on H2O2 induced DNA damage in human fibroblasts .
- The best remedy to Stress problems: Are you facing a lot of problems due to stress? Skin problem, health issues etc? Don’t worry, because bacopa is found to alleviate cortisol and stress level in humans . It even helps to alleviate retrograde amnesia produces by immobilization -induced stress .
- Improves the condition of dyslexia and ADHD: Bacopa improves the brain function. Dyslexia is a learning disability most probably in children. Brahmi can be a very good herbal supplement for those people . Herbal preparation including Bacopa can be effective in improving attention, cognition and impulse control in children with ADHD .
- It protects the detoxifier -the liver: Brahmi benefits the body in many ways. It not only helps the brain but also benefits the liver. The liver is like the pharmacy of the body as it detoxifies many toxins. Brahmi extracts act as a hepatoprotective agent and it is safe to use also .
- Anti-diabetic and anti-microbial nature: Bacopa also have antimicrobial and antidiabetic properties. In some regions of Asian countries like India, aerial parts of bacopa are used as an anti-diabetic agent. In a study, bacosine of bacopa increased the level of glucose utilization in the diaphragm of diabetic rats and glycogen content in the liver of diabetic rats .
- A healthy heart is healthy you! Studies revealed that brahmi is capable of dissolving clots in experimental organisms hence acts as a thrombolytic agent . It could be an effective vasodilator in various artery types and an anti-hypertensive too .
- Brahmi for skin: Brahmi is very useful in soothing scalp and skin. The anti-oxidants of brahmi eliminates toxins from the body especially from the skin thus promoting complexion and stimulating skin cell regeneration. It is also useful in treating abscess, eczema, and psoriasis .
- Brahmi for hair and insomnia: Getting bald? Here is the solution- Bacopa/Brahmi! It has an amazing ability to strengthen the roots of your hair and thickens the strands thus promoting the hair growth. You can also use brahmi powder and make a paste and use it. Powder forms and extracts are available in the market. Brahmi oil massage on your scalp can help you to get a better sleep 
- Helpful in treating Alzheimer’s and epilepsy: Amyloid compound neurons are responsible for brain damage and lead to Alzheimer’s disease. Bacosides in bacopa stimulates the brain cells and helps in re-building the brain tissues. Epilepsy is also a life-threatening disease these days. Epilepsy is a chronic neurological disorder. Brahmi is also helpful in the treatment of epilepsy. Take a full teaspoon of brahmi juice twice a day to reduce symptoms .
Be aware before using it. Caution!!
- Might cause nausea and cramping.
- Diarrhea might occur.
- One should avoid using it while taking birth control pills.
- People taking phenothiazine should avoid it.
- During estrogen replacement therapy, it should be avoided.
- Too much consumption of it leads to stomach discomfort.
Bacopa is used as a health supplement. It is also used as a herbal remedy for the treatment of many diseases. Its extracts are also highly beneficial. This brain booster is growing in demand day by day.
 Shinomol GK, Muralidhara. Bacopa monnieri modulates endogenous cytoplasmic and mitochondrial oxidative markers in prepubertal mice brain. Phytomedicine. 2011 Feb 15;18(4):317-26. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2010.08.005
You must be logged in to post a comment.
click here to log in